This was my second summer Christmas and like the first it doesn’t quite feel just right, but I still managed to celebrate… was there any doubt! It started with the 12 bars of Christmas. On Friday the 23rd of December some mates and I decided it would be a good idea to visit 12 bars where we would half-hour to have a beverage… beer, spirit, shot… it doesn’t matter.
Prior to the bar crawl I was at work where my avro consisted of drinking about 6 beers and playing office cricket with hand made paper/tape balls. Yup, I was hard at it! Looking back it wasn’t the best idea to pre drink for the 12 bars of Christmas, as I only made it too 9 of them. Bwah! I must say Congrats to my mates who made it through all 12 bars… you are legend!
I am actually pretty glad that I did only make it too the 9 as the next day I was not in hangover hell (all my mates were), so I have to thank Michelle for being the voice of reason and getting my drunk ass home. It was a hell of a binge and thankfully it only comes around once a year.
I totally recommend gathering all your mates together and doing your own 12 bars of Christmas. Make sure you have a schedule, a set time limit and of course a couple shot bars as well. Also make sure someone takes a camera or has a smart phone so they can take a photo of the carnage at each bar. If you have played this game or are planning too, please let me know how you do. Hopefully you can make it too all 12 unlike me…
Bar #1 - The Playhouse
Bar #2 - The Darby
Bar #3 Bluestone Room
Bar #4 - Rakinos - I am taking the photo hence me not being in it.
Bar #5 - QF Tavern
Bar #6 - Right Track - That is my arm... Michelle took this amazing photo of me
Bar #7 - Fort St Union
Bar #8 - Fat Camel
Bar #9 - The Brewery - Goodnight Mike...
I took some pics, but they turned out to be shit so... i 'borrowed' this photo by: Ben Watson
Last night the Foo Fighters ROCKED New Zealand!! I’ve never seen them live, but have always heard amazing things. I’ve listened to them for ages, just never bothered forking out money for a show. I guess I was lazy getting on their live show bandwagon, but after last nights show I will be trying to get tickets to any Foo Fighters show that I can. The show was at Western Springs which is an outdoor race track in Auckland and held a rocking 50,000 ppl. It was arena rock at its best! The weather was rainy but it didn’t dampen the experience, if anything it made it better. 50,0000 wet fans dancing, screaming and rocking out to 17 years of Foo Fighter hits. I managed to get 2 rows from the stage – closest I have ever been and it was fuck’n amazing! The energy and atmosphere was great. There were no fights, just a ton of happy Foo fans partying the night away. They played all of their hits and did a 4 song encore which made a total of 2 hours and 45 mins of rock heaven! Not many bands put a show on like that. Tenacious D opened for them and did a hell of a job warming up the crowd and getting everyone amped for the Foo’s. Before Tenacous D, Canadian punk band Fucked Up played as well as Cairo Knife Fight = bad ass rock’n roll from a NZ band. I didn’t see either, but only heard they were amazing from other fans at the show. I didn’t even know Cairo Knife Fight were scheduled as I would have def gone early to see them – ah well next time! Dave Grohl has committed to come back to Auckland to play the Town Hall, which is a small venue for 2,500 ppl. He played it earlier in the year for a fundraiser for Christchurch. He did it completely free of charge, flew his band and roadies/gear over and raised $354,903 . Amazing. I will be getting tickets to that next show, regardless of the cost because they are that good!
Foo Fighters Concert Setlist
- All My Life
- The Pretender
- My Hero
- Learn to Fly
- White Limo
- Cold Day in the Sun
- Long Road to Ruin
- Stacked Actors
- Monkey Wrench
- Let It Die
- These Days
- This is a Call
- In the Flesh (Pink Floyd cover)
- Best of You
- Times Like These (Started acoustic, then full band)
- Generator Tie Your Mother (Queen cover) – Tenacious D came out in short-shorts with suspenders and rocked out with the Foos!
Wow, check this out – Foo Fighters created ‘volcanic tremor in Auckland’ – yup I was part of that!!
On my way back from Canada in August I made a list of things I wanted to do in the following year. One of the things was to read 15 books – now to me, that is A LOT of books! I didn’t specify whether it was to the end of 2011 or a year from that date, but ive been burning through books trying to get 15 books before the end of 2011!
To be honest I don’t think I’ve ready 15 books in the last 15 years of my life. Yah, yah I know it’s a shame. But I am a now a born again reader ahah believe it Mom! So far I’ve read 11 books…I have 28 days to get through 4 books (unlikely, but you never know.)
Any ways here is my booklist for 2011
- Bossy Pants: Tina Fey Autobiography – Funny read. If you like Tina Fey’s sense of humour and 30 Rock you will most likely love this book.
- Life: Keith Richard’s Autobiography – Amazing. The man should be dead, but has somehow come away from decades of drug and alcohol abuse almost unscathed.
- A Sting in the Tale – Good read: Humourus New Zealand bush and hunting stories from ‘good kiwi bastards’.
- Only Two Seats Left: The Story of Contiki – Very enjoyable. Did you know Contiki Travel was invented by a kiwi – true!
- 127 Hours – Average book. I thought the guy is a bit of douche. If you are going out for a big hike, don’t be a dick – tell someone or write a note. It may save your arm.
- Adventures in Doubtful Sound – Read this on the flight back to NZ. Stories from a young Canadian kid growing up in Doubtful Sound way up inNorthern BC. Very entertaining/fun read!
- Scar Tissue – Really good read, but I do think there is a lot of bullshit in it. He should be dead.
- Marching Powder – Totally recommend this book – best one I have read so far! A guy is caught smuggling drugs in Boliva, gets sent to prison where the prisoners have to buy their cells, they can come and go throughout the day, the best cocaine in the country is produced in the jail, he runs a walking tour inside the jail for tourist. Read this book!
- Into the Wild – Loved this book. Read the book, watch the movie and then buy the soundtrack!
- Into Thin Air – Exciting read about an Everest expidition that goes wrong.
- Heaven is for Real - Cool book about a child who has a near death experince and has out of body experiences. Def makes you think about what happens after you kick it.
Do you have any books you can recommend?
I know I have been a bit slack on the blog lately, but I have an excuse. Ive moved house! I am no longer living on Queen St in the midst of the downtown core. I now live in a garage that has been converted into a 1 bedroom apt. It’s better than it sounds eheh.
We started looking for a new place while back, but were pretty picky on what we wanted. There had to be an outdoor space, big kitchen, lots of natural light, washing machine and parking space. After visiting and applying for a few rentals we finally got one that checked all the boxes!
The new place is located in Eden Terrace, which is a short bus ride or ½ hour walk to work, which is located in Auckland’s CBD (central business district). Though I keep saying that I now have a new excuse to get a new bike for the commute to work – hello dirt jumper!
Our place is conveniently located near a grocery, fruit, dairy and liquor store – I must have the essentials close by! Best of all we have security in the neighborhood, meaning; we live around the corner from the Hells Angels Motor Cycle Club Auckland. You can’t beat that security. They don’t shit in their own back yard, so I don’t really expect any trouble and really who is going t fuck with the Hells Angles. You can always hear the roar of their bikes when ever they are coming or going. The club house looks pretty cool; high stone walls, what looks like a nice house and two huge garages… though I won’t be going over to take a closer look.
The flat is all windows – two sky lights! We have French doors on two sides of the house allowing for the cool summer breeze to act as our air condition, a nice court yard at the side of the house with a bit of yard where we can hangout (re bbq and get on piss) and front area with clothes line and did I mention that I have my own driveway. Pretty sweet! House warming party to come… bring on summer.