I’ve just returned from a whirl wind work trip. I’ve been down in Dunedin, Christchurch, Wellington and Palmerston North on the NZ university career fair circuit. It was pretty much a ‘ground-hog day’ trip, meaning it was the same thing at each of the stops. Different person, same spiel. All of this travel had me on and off planes a couple times a week. Ive noticed that people really need to understand airplane etiquette! Here is a couple things I’ve come up with from my most recent travels:
- Mind your space. There is no reason to stretch out on a 1-2 hour flight. Keep your arms on your lap and remember that you don’t own the arm rests.
- It’s not a party! I don’t mind friendly conversation at the start of the flight, but by no means do I want to chat the whole flight through. Thank god for ipods and earphones!
- If you go to the washroom a lot, take an isle seat. know your bladder!
- Mind your volume levels. I don’t want to hear your conversation, when you are sitting 4 rows behind me and same with the ipods, keep the music to yourself.
- Reading. Reading is good, but don’t try and read my magazine/book by rubbernecking.
- Kids are kids. Baby’s cry, young’ns throw tantrums and they are most likely really excited to be on the plane so expect them to be bouncing around.. it’s just the way it is. Believe it or not you were a child once and most likely cried or had a tantrum.
- Don’t race to get off the plane! When the plane comes to a stop, don’t hop up and try to get your luggage unless you are in the first couple rows. If someone in the seat ahead of you is a little slower, give them a hand or be patient. The baggage wont be out for another 10 mins, so chill out.
- Wash. Yes, you would have thought this is obvious, but it’s not to some. Deodorant. Easy as.
- If you snore, try not to fall asleep on the plane. Nobody wants to hear it.
- Carry your ‘carry-on’ luggage off the plane. Don’t try and drag it down the isle since your bag has wheels. The isles are narrow and you just end up struggling.
- Make your calls in the terminal. Why are you trying to get your luggage down, talk on the phone and get off the plane all at the same time? You will be waiting for your baggage later, make the call then!
- Enjoy the view.. if you are in the window seat. Don’t lean over, it’s rude and there isn’t much room to begin with. Book a window seat if you want to look out the window.
- If someone is doing any of these things, but they refuse your polite requests to stop. Talk to a flight attendant. Don’t take matters into your own hands.
- Take a look behind you. If the passenger is tall, he needs the leg room. Don’t recline your chair. If it is a shorter flight, keep your chair upright. What’s an extra 10 degrees anyways!
- Common sense prevales. Treat people, like you want to be treated. Simple.
I know there are most likely heaps of things i’ve missed and if you have some you would like to share, please post it here!